It was once said that home is where the heart can laugh without shyness and where the heart's tears can dry at their own pace. I hope this space will be a place you find yourself at home. I hope you will find safety, comfort and joy on these pages. You are seen and you are loved dear friend. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Living With Chronic Pain- My Messy Beautiful Part Two

This post isn't officially a part of the messy beautiful project but in writing the first one I was inspired to dig in deep into some of the other messy areas of my life.

I've had neck pain and migraines since I was a little girl. I remember curling up in a ball (child's pose for all you yoga buffs out there) on the floor and crying as my head pounded and nausea took over my body.
I went home from school sick all the time. Which to be honest, was kind of nice because it meant my mom had to leave work to come get me so I got to see her and she would always buy me ice cream.

They didn't know a lot about migraine until about 15 years ago, there was really no treatment or understanding of what caused it. So you just had to wait it out. When I was in college they finally came out with a medicine that worked. I could take it and within a few hours I would feel better, it was a miracle. Of course it was expensive but ask any migraine sufferer and they'll tell you it's worth it.

Even with new medication and new understanding of the causes of migraine, mine have been a constant friend (or foe?). Living with chronic pain is hard. You learn to put on a smile and pretend you're ok and continue with your daily tasks but it's hard and it doesn't really get easier. Usually after the 10th day in a row or so of a migraine I break down. I curl up in my bed and cry and cry because I am so discouraged and tired. It's discouraging. I can't do everything I want to do because of the pain and because some things might cause further pain.

One time a friend said to me (regarding my health issues) "what's the worst thing that could happen? You die and go to be with Jesus." To which I responded, "actually, that's the best thing that could happen. The worst thing would be I keep living, and never get better. The worst thing would be that no man ever chooses me to love because he doesn't want to take on lifelong sickness. The worst thing would be I'm not strong enough to care for a family, that would be the worst." And those are the fears that daily plague me. For many women the common fear is that we are too much and not enough all at the same time and adding chronic pain onto that exponentially grows that fear. I hate asking for prayer because I feel like I'm annoying and assume people are tired of hearing about my pain. I also think that I've done such a good job of hiding my pain that people may not actually believe me when I tell them how bad it really is.

This is supposed to be encouraging somehow but sometimes I really don't feel encouraged. I feel worn out and hopeless. I feel like things will never get better and I won't be able to handle that. But then I remember everyday before today and how God gave me the grace to handle it. How He met me in those dark places and spoke life to me. I remember the times I've had with Jesus in the midst of my pain that I never would have had otherwise, the depths we have gone too because of my great need for Him in my weakness. And what I wouldn't give to be healed and free of this pain but yet I'm so grateful for God's faithfulness in the midst of it. We live in a fallen, sin-plagued, painful world but God is able to take our brokenness and pain and work it to good in our lives and I can testify that He does just that.

"And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

1 comment: