It was once said that home is where the heart can laugh without shyness and where the heart's tears can dry at their own pace. I hope this space will be a place you find yourself at home. I hope you will find safety, comfort and joy on these pages. You are seen and you are loved dear friend. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Being a Tourist at Home


Traveling is an incredible gift and if you are given that gift I hope you'll cherish it, learn from it and with all that you gain, I hope you'll give back to others. But every place has a story, a history, a culture, a language, a people, even the place you call home. It's been my experience that we often miss out on what is right in front of us. We take for granted the sights, the sounds, the smells, the people, that home is made of. Sometimes I think we'd find what we're looking for if we would just look up...
I have wanted to explore more of Los Angeles for a long time but never really had the time or energy to do it. This season has been great for travel and exploring new places but it's also been great for slowing down to see the beauty that's right in front of me. Here are a few of my favorites from my day in LA, which by the way was VERY rainy, a great surprise to this sundress and sandal wearing girl, good thing I don't mind getting wet! 
One of the really awesome things about the area surrounding Union Station is that pretty much everything is free (except the parking!) including The Chinese American Museum, Pico House, La Plaza and Olvera Street... you should go there!!!

This mural depicts something important and I can't remember what... 
(insert shameful emoji face here)

The Pico House

Olvera Street

I love this hall in Union Station, apparently you can rent it out for events, that would be so rad!


These mural painting people love LA too :) 

You will see Junipero Serra all over the place when you read about the history of California, in the background of this photo is the beautiful Union Station. 

What do you love about your hometown? Is there someplace you have yet to visit there?
 I hope you get to go soon! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jen, Thanks for the pics. Brought back fun memories when Mia, the kids and I took the train from Goleta to Union Station and spent the afternoon sightseeing in the very places you visited. Glad that you have found some times of refreshing. Blessings, Terry

Diwakar said...

Hello Jennifer Cecil. I did visit your blog post earlier too and have also commented on your blog post couple times. Again this morning as I was browsing the blog posts I came across yours once again. I am blessed once again to go through your blog post on Being a tourist at home. In your profile your love for people and desire to go where no one else goes. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with the poorest of poor people living in the most stinking slums in Mumbai where no one wants to go and work and be hands and feet of Jesus. Praying for you as you seek God's direction in your life.