It was once said that home is where the heart can laugh without shyness and where the heart's tears can dry at their own pace. I hope this space will be a place you find yourself at home. I hope you will find safety, comfort and joy on these pages. You are seen and you are loved dear friend. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Gaby

"Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away."

As a Christian there are certain ways I have learned to process certain events...
Today I received news that I had no idea how to process.

Gaby was a homeless woman who lived in the bushes near the gas station down the street from my school.  Several years ago I began visiting her. I would bring her meals or snacks and pray for her. I did share the gospel with her but I don't think she could understand me. No matter what I would say she would always reply, "yes, yes" or sometimes I would get a hearty "thank you". I could never tell if she really knew what I was saying, if you knew the love that had grown in my heart for her or most importantly if she knew God's love.

Sometimes I would take my students to see her and we would bring her lunch. One of my students, feeling great compassion towards her, told her mom (also a teacher at my school) and they began visiting Gaby as well.

This morning, my student came to me and told me that Gaby had passed away. I had feared her death for so long, anxiousness overwhelming me everytime I drove by her spot at the gas station. But today my fear became a reality. Death is something I've faced before and it's always difficult. But this time... there is no way of knowing if she really knew Christ, there is no one to call and give my condolences to, no funeral...

So what can I take away from this? Tomorrow is never guaranteed. There are Gaby's everywhere, people who are alone and in great need. If I pass them by today, I have no promise that I will see them tomorrow.

God is always on mission. He purposes that we would live on mission. Who has God put in your path today? How will/did you respond?

Lord, we ask that you give us your eyes to see, your heart to love and boldness to proclaim your word to a lost and dying world. Amen.

No comments: